Thursday August 29

Today was pretty much a normal day, but after breakfast we took the whole crew down to the Home Building Center store to get our weekly group picture taken.  HH is where MDS gets a lot of their building material.  The staff there has been most supportive of our rebuilding efforts here.  They keep a nice display of Adirondack chairs out front, so we arranged ourselves there and invited two of the staff to join.

I also took some shots of some of the crew clowning around.  This was mostly the group from around Niverville, MB



This afternoon I had time to take my first bike ride up the closest rail trail , the Columbia and Western trail.  There are two bikes at the church for our use, and I had been riding the larger of the two, but it was pretty ratty and it was impossible to adjust the seat high enough or keep the handlebars from rotating to an uncomfortable position while riding, so I gave up and rode the slightly smaller bike to test it out.  I could put the seat up high enough to pedal more efficiently, but still could use a bigger bike.  Unfortunately, this bike also has full front and rear suspension, so it is impossible to get a good drive out of it when I stand up on the pedals for climbing.

I caught a connecting trail a few blocks from the church, and followed it to the C&W trailhead where I signed the trail log, and took a picture of the trail map so I could refer to it on my ride.  I make it a habit to do this on every new hike or ride.



Along the trail, there were numerous piles of bear scat.  The joke they tell it that you can tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly bear scat because the grizzly bear scat smells like pepper spray and has bear bells in it!


I encountered no bears.  Later that afternoon back at the church I took some slow motion video of one of the Manitoba group, Bradney, doing a nice Alley-oop slam dunk.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Serve

Wednesday August 28: Birthday!

Saturday, August 24