Recognition

Something happened yesterday that made me realize how much of an impression MDS is making in the Grand Forks area.  I was waiting in the checkout line at one of the grocery stores downtown, and the fellow behind me asked "How many are you cooking for tonight?"  I am used to being approached by people when I am out in public wearing my MDS shirt or badge, but I realized that I was wearing a Yosemite T-shirt, and didn't have my badge, so he just recognized me from an earlier encounter.  It gave me a real sense of belonging to this community.

Every time I am out in this town wearing MDS apparel, People approach me and begin thanking MDS for being here,  Almost everyone knows someone who was displaced by the flood, had their business damaged or destroyed, or was otherwise affected by it.  The trauma runs deep, and so does the appreciation.  MDS is the last of the big relief organizations still active here, and people know that.  MDS has a reputation for being in a location long after many people have lost interest in the triggering event, and it is out of the news.

National Post


This gratitude is also the reason that most MDS project directors prefer to not return to an area after a project is completed.  When they have returned later, it has sometimes generated feelings that they came back just to receive more warm fuzzies, to revel in the outpouring of gratitude.  This is unhealthy for all parties, so they prefer to keep in touch in more low-profile ways without letting the clients feel abandoned.  It is also important for the clients to feel not feel continually obligated in any way to MDS or the people who worked on their houses.  It's their home now, and they are capable of moving on to the next chapter of their lives.

Here in Grand Forks, many people have been helped by organizations like ours, but there are whole neighborhoods where the homes have been condemned and the city has decided it is to risky to allow rebuilding.  Those individuals are still locked into mortgages on property that they are being forced to abandon for post-flood property value settlements.  Most of them will be facing bankruptcy unless the Canadian or Provincial government decides to fund  for more aid.  Without adequate compensation, they cannot afford to relocate.

Comments

  1. This is a very admirable policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I love reading your blog!! I am impressed by the community support and relationship with MDS,, and the "giving" and "receiving" going both ways. Your photos help me to picture your daily operation as well as the setting in which you live and work. What a wonderful place to go hiking and biking! You've captured the beauties of the sky as well. A life-changing experience for a newly retired teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Serve

Wednesday August 28: Birthday!

Saturday, August 24