Friday, August 30

Wow!  Today I finished my first work week in Grand Forks!  One thing that meant is that I got my "allowance".  Long term volunteers get a $20 (CAD) stipend for incidentals.  I like Canadian money because the bills are more colorful and look high-tech.  The $5 bill has a picture of the Canadarm2, the robotic arm from the International Space Station, which I like better that the stodgy old buildings and masonic symbols typical of American bills.

Connie and I went to the Farmers' Market again today to get some local produce.  They have it Tuesdays and Fridays, which I probably already mentioned.  On the way, we saw a lot of deer grazing in the yards of houses we passed. 



Before I went to the market, I stopped in at the Grand Forks Heritage Centre, where they had a lot of historical displays, some dealing with the flood that was the reason for the MDS work here. Others show history of the railroad in the area, mining, aviation, logging, and historical fires.







I saw more of the cool wall art in the downtown area.




Today was also the last day to serve our wonderful Niverville crew before they head back to Manitoba.  They were truly a pleasure to work with, and accomplished an incredible amount of work, especially on two of the projects that are nearing completion.  We plan to have a couple of house dedications in the next couple weeks.  It was also time to say farewell to head cook Connie, office manager Lorraine, and Mark, the project director for the past month.  Larry and I are the the two long-termers that will still be here Monday to start another work week.



Comments

  1. Does your phone work ok as far as reception and such? Hoping you can contact J easily. I am loving your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have very good cell service, but it costs $5 per day if I use voice or data not over the wireless here at the church. No matter how much I try to avoid getting the charge, I always need it at some point while I am out and about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Serve

Wednesday August 28: Birthday!

Saturday, August 24