3/5 and Ready for More

Yesterday, I finished my 3rd work week out of 5.  It is truly amazing the work that is being accomplished by our MDS crews.  One thing that really shows God's hand in this work is the way the right people keep showing up at the right time.  A couple weeks ago, a three-generation crew showed up with the grandfather being skilled in carpentry, and the father and son a two-man electrician team.  This happened as the Redding house was being prepared for its completion and dedication.  Often working past their normal wrap-up time, this family made sure the house was ready by the Wednesday event.  Had they not shown up on short notice, there would have been a lot of wiring tasks not completed, and the dedication would have been more for show than a true celebration of the turning over of a new home to the clients.


Another aspect of our work is repeated to us daily.  We are told that the rebuilding of the physical structures is only one aspect of our work.  The other, and more important part is to "put down the hammer, and just listen" to the clients.  Their physical needs are obvious, but it is the emotional scars from the disaster that require the most immediate attention.  Few of the workers are social workers, but all of us have had time to just chat with and listen, listen, listen to the clients.  I had a really nice chat with Kent, whose house was dedicated this week.  Even though I was not one of the work crew for his house, he remembered that I had ridden up to the house one day on the bike to see the progress.  We had spoken a bit that day, and I think he enjoyed talking to someone about biking, the local trails, and recommending places I should be sure to see before I leave.  I think it is important to find topics of conversation where the client can be the expert, offering help to those helping them; a nice role reversal that helps restore to them a sense of self-worth.


I am enjoying the cooking, and tolerate the constant cleanup.  It is actually easier than working for a restaurant, because I know that the fruits of my labor are helping people in real need, rather than generating profit.  It is always a challenge to figure out what the weekly volunteers want to eat, since basically every week we have an entirely new crew.  One week, they ate me out of pickles for sandwiches almost every day.  The next week, I only needed one jar.  One group ate cold cereal along with their hot food.  We went through two big boxes of Frosted Flakes.  This past week, they told me that I didn't need to bring the cold cereals out to the table unless it made me feel better, since none of them were eating any.  I am quite frustrated at the MDS cookbook, since there are recipes that are not enough to feed a group of 20, and I once I only barely scraped by because I had increased everything by 50%.  Other recipes have obvious errors, like a lasagna recipe that calls for 2 cups of cottage cheese, and two pounds of mozzarella.  That would be almost inedible, so I knew to switch them around.  The recipes are not in alphabetical order in the index, so you have to literally look at every recipe to find the one you want.  I have suggested to MDS that since the Canadian office is located on the campus of Canadian Mennonite University,  and there are students taking IT courses, it would be a great project for them make a MDS cooking app, with the recipes, ability to upsize or downsize a recipe automatically and keep track of what you have served so other cooks can use that info.

I will start my fourth week with my third new head cook.  I hope things work out well so I can finish up in style.  I know one thing-  I have waaaay too much donated zucchini on hand!

Comments

  1. Too much zucchini? How about long slices, salted and drained and dried for lasagna noodles. Gluten free. The cookbook app sounds really amazing. I hope they can get it done. Keep your notes so you can help them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, August 24

Wednesday August 28: Birthday!

Why We Serve